Tribute to Annette Miner
Co-Founder Life's Seasons Care & Support
September 3, 1958-January 15, 2020
Tribute to the life and legacy of a dear friend of Starr Commonwealth’s, Annette Caza Miner, during Starr’s 2020 Trauma & Resiliency Virtual Conference on July 20, 2020
Annette Miner was nominated for a Women of the Year Award by the Women’s Interval Home and Sexual Assault Survivors Centre and won.
Making a difference in others lives isn't just what Annette did, it is who she was. Annette was always walking alongside those who were hurting, helping and encouraging others with her words, actions and deeds.
Tina Hunter accepted the award on behalf of Annette on Sunday, March 8th, 2020.
Director of Counselling Services
TLC Certified Trainer
Annette Miner is a certified Trainer, Advanced Certified Trauma Practitioner, and guest blogger with TLC®. She received the National Institute for Trauma and Loss in Children’s “Bill Steele Award in 2013 and the Trauma and Loss Clinical Specialist of the Year 2007 Award” for outstanding contributions in the field of trauma intervention and dedication and service to children, youth, adults and families.
Annette has a Child and Youth Worker diploma from Lambton College in Sarnia, Ontario Canada and is a certified member with the Ontario Association of Child and Youth Counsellors. In 2009 Annette completed the Distance Education Pastoral Counselling Program with Emerge Ministries, Akron, Ohio. From 1991 until 2008, Annette was a Crisis Prevention and Intervention Master Level Trainer with the Crisis Prevention Institute, in Brooklyn, WI where she gained valuable experience supporting and encouraging practitioners in her field who were working directly with traumatized children. Her years of clinical experiences working directly with traumatized children in residential care, school settings, churches and in her private practise, have given her great insight and clinical expertise working with children and families touched by trauma.
Annette has had a diverse range of clinical experiences working with children, youth and their families, as well as training those who provide services to vulnerable populations. Annette’s clinical focus can be faith-based or non-faith-based depending on the need. Annette is a dynamic, positive and energetic presenter whose approach to intervention provides a unique alternative to traditional intervention strategies.
Some of Annette’s experiences include:
- Bluewater Family Support Services, Parkhill, ON, where she was an Intensive Support Parent and CPI trainer.
- Rebound Youth Services, Sarnia, ON, where she developed and implemented an Anti-Bullying Violence Prevention Project that incorporated a whole-school approach involving parents, administrators, teachers and students.
- Lakeshore Community Church, Bright’s Grove ON, where she was the Director of Children’s and then Family Ministries/Care and Support for 11½ years. She presented workshops, facilitated programs, and provided individual and group counselling for children, adolescents, parents and adults.
- Bright’s Grove, ON - co founder - where she currently provides individual and group counselling for children, adolescents, parents and adults. She also facilitates workshops for schools, programs for schools, agencies, organizations and churches regarding children with special needs, behavioural issues and other related issues.
- Faculty advisor at Lambton College, Child and Youth Worker Program – since 2010 - She consults, advises and conducts evaluations for 1st , 2nd, and 3rd year Child and Youth Worker students in their field placements